Sunday, November 28, 2010

Vision for Southwind

I've spent the last 30 years of my life involved in volleyball. I began in 5th grade and have continued until this day. I have always enjoyed playing but my passion for the game didn't come from just playing. Although I do love to play and I love the way my body feels while I'm on the court, my love of the game came from having an amazing coach. I was blessed to have a coach who knew that sports could be used for more than just competition. It was in 8th grade that Mr. Shirley headed up our team... and his passion for the game was very clear to us young ladies. But more than just teaching us volleyball he also instilled a confidence in us, he used the game to develop not just volleyball players but young ladies. (Thank you to Mr. Kevin Shirley.)

I have had some extra time this past month to really think about my vision for this club. I usually spend more time visiting with the coaching staff but due to an unforeseen circumstance I have not had the privilege to spend time with every coach. I was thinking about what I would want them to know about Southwind and our "mission". And I thought it has been my life experiences that have brought me to this place and has really developed the vision for this club.

I have spent the last 14 or 15 years as a club director and founded Southwind 7 years ago. Each year I recruit a number of athletes, I speak to numerous families, and I interview and recruit coaches. I am "married" to the job. :) My efforts have me invested in the success of every team, every coach, and every player. I am blessed to do something I love and that is what drives my personal vision for the club and I hope affects every person involved in Southwind. My hope is that Southwind is more than just an elite level volleyball club... the following is my personal vision of a volleyball club... a vision of Southwind.

1) That above all else we manage the club with integrity, we provide the role model for all of our athletes. That we say what we mean and we mean what we say. That we communicate openly and honestly (as well as tactfully) with the athletes, their families, and the club staff.

2) That when it is all said and done, our energy and our efforts are spent on our athletes. We all coach for different reasons, some are passionate about the sport, some have a need for power, some want to give back, others a need to feel loved and accepted, and so on... but the bottom line is coaching is not about us... not about the coach. Coaching is about the athlete, are we helping them to become better athletes? Are we helping them to become the adult they were meant to be? Our role is of "professional" coach, laying aside any personal needs in order to be the coach our athletes' need.

3) Sports provide an opportunity to teach more than just sports. Team work, discipline, work ethic... whether or not we mention these qualities by name they are still apart of a well run team. Learning about these qualities have a life long effect allowing our athletes to walk away from their season as better people. Working towards these qualities gives our athletes confidence in themselves and their abilities... building character in each young life we touch.

There is no doubt I'll have to add another blog entry because I didn't hit all the topics of my vision, but these three aspects are what came to mind. Southwind has affected so many lives in a positive way... my hope is that continues.

Thoughts? :)

1 comment:

  1. I benefited so much from playing for southwind :) I miss it a lot, and wish i could have just stayed in high school forever ;) just kidding. But really though, thanks for all you did for me and instilling the love for the game, like you did. You are a great coach and leader. Saw your other blog- praying for you!

    ReplyDelete