Sunday, September 25, 2011

It's not as scary as you think it is.... you can coach!

Several years ago I got back into coaching volleyball when my daughters decided they had interest in learning how to play.  We entered a recreational league with some of their classmates and for the next few years I enjoyed teaching them fundamentals and helping the girls improve their skills. 

Then one night, while at a match, I met Rachel and she asked if I was interested in coaching with her club.  While that sounded like something I would love to do, immediately all the red flags went up…I’m too busy, I have 4 young children at home, I already felt over-committed, I couldn’t possibly add this to my schedule. So I thanked her for her interest and told her it was probably not the right time for me.  She was very understanding and told me to think about it.  Long story, short, after a little more encouragement, and against my better judgment, I agreed to give it a try.

Looking back at it now, I am so grateful that Rachel didn’t give up on me.  This will be my fifth year at Southwind and although it has not been without its scheduling challenges, it has not been nearly as difficult as I had imagined.  Maybe it’s because when you are doing something you love, you make room in your life for it.  Maybe it’s because it has been so rewarding for me.  I love working with the players and their families.  I love learning and growing as a coach.  I love watching the girls progress from the beginning of the season to the end.  Many times they begin as 6 individuals who barely know each other and end up as confident players who have gained life-long friends.  And even though occasionally you may run up against a difficult season, it is always a growing experience.  So, if you are given the opportunity to coach, take a chance, find a way, and you just might rediscover a passion you had forgotten you had.


*Thank You to Rebecca Arnold, our guest blogger. Coaching is not just the x's and o's, it's the people and team, it's the passion and devotion. If you think you want to coach you have to step out of your comfort zone and forget all of your excuses. At the end of the day "just do it". 


Find out more about Southwind Rising Volleyball, entering our 8th year of operation, providing training for both players and coaches! www.southwindvb.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment