Wednesday, July 13, 2011

What are we teaching?

Taking a trip to Atlanta, Georgia this summer was a much needed "get away" and "get to"trip. The past 7 months I have been battling cancer, and am happy to say that I am beating it, and I've continued to coach. Anyone who has had to deal with a serious health issue recognizes that you don't stop doing what you love, in fact, it makes you more determined to do everything you did before and much more. But considering the past seven months, taking a trip to Atlanta, Georgia for the Girls Junior National Championships was a much needed trip away from KC and a very enjoyable trip to some great volleyball.

While in Atlanta our teams performed well, I just wished our win/loss record could have reflected that more accurately, all the teams in attendance performed well. Being there, in the midst of some great competition, only fuels my desire to continue on in this sport as a club director, coach, and trainer. Some things that I enjoyed and inspired me while in Atlanta included the following:

I enjoyed time with the young ladies who earned a bid to Nationals. The U171 team was very meaningful to me this season, as they stepped up to support and encourage me during an extremely difficult season. I enjoy them ALL so very much and wish them the best this coming high school season. The U162 team was a great bunch of girls and I was happy to be able to sit on the bench to help coach during the week.

I was inspired that no team ever gave up during competition... there we no fits of "frustration", stomping of feet, or blaming. The girls on the court continued to compete point after point regardless of the score. Because of that attitude, I saw many teams win from some exceptional comebacks.

The great level of skills and team work where inspiring. I was able to watch the 16 open championship, the 17 national and open championships and those athletes were amazing! By the way, I took notes and a few video clips. :)

The overall feeling of being at such a high level of competition made me sit back and remember why I love coaching volleyball and why I'll continue to do so.

I began coaching with a vision... to develop and train "people". Ever coach wants to win and be successful and I am no different but I do believe I am different in the way I approach the game and the training. There are so many great qualities we can teach our young adults through competitive volleyball including: work ethic, character, integrity, sportsmanship, team work, confidence... all the positive qualities that make for a healthy and happy individual.

But I am sadden by how many people view this sport as "drama" and use it for their own personal self esteem boost. Instead of teaching the higher qualities of a "healthy" life many are teaching the "drama" of  a small life. If a coach is willing to lie, cheat, or steal, on or off the court, it won't be much longer before they ask you or your child to do the same. And if, or when, push comes to shove, you or your child will be pushed "under the bus".

I believe we can develop people of character that can compete at a high level of competition and be successful. I believe competitive sports should allow young people to grow and use their experiences for a successful and happy adulthood. I believe at the end of the day we have to be content with who we are and what we are doing irregardless of anyone or anything else. Self acceptance and authenticity are two qualities that we should be teaching our athletes, that happens by our own behavior, self acceptance, and being true to ourselves.

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment